Friday, October 5, 2007

Real Ginger Ale

2 tablespoons fresh ginger grated
2 lemon rinds
honey to taste
1 cup boiling water
1 quart seltzer
Put the ginger and lemon rinds in a small bowl with the honey. Pour in
boiling water, just enough to cover. Let steep for 5 minutes. Strain and chill. When ready to serve, add seltzer.

Sounds damn yummy! I can't wait to try it, but thought I might as well share the wealth. Perhaps it will stop my dry heaves. Remember when your parents plied you with ginger ale when you were sick? I wonder if that was just to keep you hydrated, or if there were once health benefits to the ginger? If I weren't so damn lazy, I'd look it up. Discuss amongst yourselves.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yes, there are many health benefits to ginger! One use for ginger is to alleviate nausea. Candied ginger is the best for that sort of thing. There's even a company that makes "ginger chews" that are really good ... I take them with me when I fly to avoid the Dramamine haze but to avoid getting motion sickness.

If you can't find them, e-mail me your address and I would be happy to send you some.

rachel said...

that sounds yummy. i don't know much about the health effects of ginger, but oters can attest to that. i like what tastes good. and that sounds good. the end.